Blizzard has still not announced a release date for 3rd installment in the Diablo saga. This is dissapointing for your's truly (and many other Diablo fans and addicts). If released in 2009 Diablo 3 is bound to be one of the most popular and best-selling PC games of the year. My prediction is that this game will be released before the end of 2009, but I could be wrong. Blizzard have a history of only releasing games when they are 100 percent sure that its ready to take the market by storm. This seems to be a winning recipe. Blizzard released the 2nd expansion to World of Warcraft in late 2008 named Wrath of the Lich King. It sold 2.8 million copies worldwide within the first 24 hours of release, shattering sales records. Blizzard have the ability to create major hype for their games and Diablo 3 is no exception.
There are a few features in Diablo 3 that may attract gamers to it when it's finally released.
- Five powerful character classes to choose from, including the barbarian and witch doctor - I'm looking forward to trying any one of these classes, especially the witch doctor class.
- Brand-new 3D graphics engine enhanced with spectacular visual effects and Havok physics. - This sounds exciting and definately better than Diablo 2.
- Numerous indoor and outdoor areas detailing new regions in the world of Sanctuary - New areas are always good, doesn't matter which game ur playing.
- Interactive environments with dangerous traps and obstacles, and destructible elements - Interactive environment are also always good, keeps the player on his / her toes and forces the player to think outside the box.
- Randomly generated worlds bolstered by scripted events for endless and dynamic gameplay - Gameplay = good, all I can say.
- Vast assortment of fiendish monsters, with unique attack patterns and behaviors -Monsters = Good, once again, all I can say.
- New quest system and character-customization options for the ultimate action RPG experience - Hope this is better than the previous games, I never bothered to do quests in Diablo 1 & 2.
- Multiplayer functionality over Battle.net with support for cooperative and competitive play - Multiplayer = Always Good.
According to IGN.com "Diablo 3 picks up the story 20 years after the events of Diablo 2. Mephisto, Diablo, and Baal have been defeated, but the Worldstone, which once shielded the inhabitants of the world of Sanctuary from the forces of both Heaven and Hell, has been destroyed, and evil once again stirs in Tristram. Playing as a hero from one of five distinct character classes, players will acquire powerful items, spells, and abilities as they explore new and familiar areas of Sanctuary and battle hordes of demons to safeguard the world from the horrors that have arisen." That basically sums up the game.